Monday, January 12, 2015

Holy Heroes, Batman!

I’m in the process of completing an exciting costuming project. For several years, I’ve coveted a quality replica of the Batman costume worn by Adam West in the 1966 television series.  After tracking down patterns made from the screen-worn costumes, several shopping trips to locate matching fabrics, and finally finding an affordable cowl, my Batman costume is complete! Not only that, but my son is equally excited about being the Boy Wonder (though he was a little hesitant about the bare legs). My wife and daughters will soon be clad in Catwoman, Batgirl and Riddler costumes, too.

I remember watching the 1966 Batman series at ten years old and thinking, “I’m too old for this.” Now, at thirty-four, I can’t get enough. This colorful, campy version of the Caped Crusader is perhaps my favorite incarnation. It hearkens back to a time of moral certainty. While various villains continually plotted their nefarious schemes, Batman and Robin were “good guys” by every definition, duly deputized officers of the law who obeyed traffic signals and helped little old ladies cross the street.

When I compare these classic do-gooders to many modern superheroes I’m often disappointed. Take Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy for instance. I enjoyed the movie as much as everyone else, especially the sound track. However, the Guardians lack the moral integrity I long for in a hero. They are thieves, murderers, and generally self-severing. Although, they ended up stopping the big bad guy and saving the universe, their moral ambiguity is highlighted by Starlord’s question, “What should we do next: Something good, something bad? Bit of both?”

I’m reminded of the Bible verse that says, “Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil…” (Isaiah 5:20). I think this is why I’m more drawn to “good guys” that are truly good—superheroes like Superman, Captain America, and, of course, the Caped Crusaders—Batman and Robin. Besides, who wouldn’t like a guy that can hit you so hard words describing the impact will appear out of thin air?

5 comments:

  1. Hello you are awesome thanks for all the help

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Appreciate it.
    superman costume

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your costumes are spectacular ! The Grand Heritage costume (Rubies) that is selling on the internet is really bad! These costume are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you please put up a link to the template for the cosplay belt and the superhero eye mask in the descriptions on YouTube as well as a tutorial on how to make pleather superhero gloves and show me how to make a robin costume

    ReplyDelete